Back to School


Sometimes I find myself thinking about going back to school. I'll sit up in bed in the middle of the night and think, hey maybe I should get my masters. Then maybe I'll actually have more than just enough money to get by each month. Except I'll probably be in an even worse financial situation since I'll be paying off the debt for my master's degree anyway.

It's a bad idea to go to school unless you are one hundred percent sure that you know what you want to do with yourself. I don't. But I feel the university atmosphere calling me back. I want to soak up more knowledge. I want to be able to say that I have my masters degree. And my PHD! I want to be smart as hell. But I don't really want to do the things you need to do to get those pieces of paper. I love learning. I love exploring new things. But the idea of having to take exams and write papers again is the next most off putting part about going back to school aside from the money issue.

I really don't want to do those things again, as much as I'd like to have more degrees. I wish there was a way that I could get a masters without having to do school the traditional way. Can I just attend the classes, and take notes and learn and be enthusiastic and then get a piece of paper that says I completed all of the classes? Why doesn't it work like that? I've been out of school for 3 years, and frankly, when I was at the end of the college I really couldn't wait to be finished. When I graduated, I felt as though a giant weight just got removed from my brain. Now I am considering going back. There must be something wrong with me. I know that as soon as I stepped inside of a school, I'd probably want to run away screaming again.